top of page
Child Protection.png


The Child, Youth and Family Services Act (CYFSA) is the law in Ontario that governs the protection and well-being of children. The government agencies that supervise the welfare of children in Ontario are the Children's Aid Societies (CAS) and Child and Family Services. The role of CAS is to investigate allegations of abuse, and endangerment, provide guidance to families and, in extreme cases, remove children from unsafe homes.

As a parent, you have the legal duty to ensure the safety and well-being of your children. Where CAS has reason to believe you are not meeting this duty, they have the legal right to investigate your family. If CAS determines that the child needs protection, they can remove your child and place them in alternative housing such as other family members, community members or foster care. Factors that may lead to the removal of a child:

  1. Being left alone, neglected, or uncared for;

  2. Has experienced abuse or has the likelihood of experiencing abuse; or

  3. Witnesses violence or abuse between the adults of the home.

If your child is removed, there are strict timelines for how long a child can remain in foster care temporarily. If the time limit is reached, the court must return the child to the parent, or family member or make the child an extended society ward. For this reason, you must seek legal advice as early as possible when CAS becomes involved with your family and children.


Child protection proceedings can be extremely complicated. Our team has experience representing our diverse clients to reach solutions that meet their needs and the best interests of the children. We can help you navigate this stressful process and provide legal guidance. Contact us for a consultation and more information.

We are here to help

INB Family Law is here to provide the guidance, support, and expertise you need to protect your rights and achieve fair outcomes. Our team of experienced family lawyers can help you through every step of the process, whether through alternative dispute resolution methods or court representation. If you need legal assistance with your family law matter, do not hesitate to contact us at 905-215-1905 for a consultation.

How can we help?

bottom of page